BB knits

A dumping grounds for all things knitting wandering through my lil' mind.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Cleaves

All right, another pre-olympics finished object!

Pattern: Cleaves
Yarn: Jo-Ann exclusive Bellezza Collection: Cosetta
Other: 8mm DPNs, 8mm 61cm circulars
Cast on: Jan 19/06
Cast off: Feb 3/06 (in a fit of laziness, left the ends to be woven in the next day..)

New techniques learned: Well, definitely the biggest thing I've done with DPNs! Also, it was my first time joining things all up together in the round (the two sleeves and casting on for the cowl..). Wasn't to hard to figure out, though, and I really don't like seaming at all - so avoiding that was a plus :D
Not a technique, but something I learned... my gauge changes a fair bit when I switch from DPNs to circulars. Gauge was bang on for the cuff and sleeve, but for the cowl my tension got a lot looser.

Changes to pattern: Well, I only made the cuffs about 7 inches. Partly because that was plenty long for my hands, but mostly because I did a lot of the initial knitting on the plan to Saskatoon and didn't have my measuring tape... so I used my DPN to guess length, and since they're 7 inches long, that was an easy number to work with ;) Total length of sleeve: about 21 inches.

What I would do differently if I made it again: I think I wouldn't mind a little less loosey-goosey-ness about the cowl - while it is cozy comfy, it's oversized-ness gets in my way on occasion. So if I were to make another, I'd probably try a smaller size needle for the circulars, to compensate for my looser tension.

The yarn was fun, I really enjoyed the colours :) (the yarn was a gift from a friend down in California). The pattern is pretty straightforward, and the sleeves were pretty good airplane knitting. I really appreciated the lack of seams to do up!

I've worn it a couple times now, and it is very cozy and snuggly. I'd probably wear it more often if I was just staying at home more, and didn't have to worry about it matching the tshirt i'm wearing that day ;)

onto the pictures!


Cleaves
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

Here's the finished thing spread out on my bed. I love verigated yarn and it's stripiness.




Cleaves - cowl
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

close up of cowl - good representation of the colour. So pretty and shiny! :)




Cleaves - sleeve
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

close up of sleeve, and nice shot of the pretty colour stripes along the sleeve :)




Cleaves
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

This is how it's worn in the pictures with the pattern... but as soon as I put my arms down, the cowl falls to an akward and not as cozy spot, and it just gets in my way :P so....




Cleaves
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

...I wear it this way! Nice and cozy about the back of my neck, the sleeves stay up, and it's just all kinds of goodness :)




Cleaves
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

And this is what it looks like from the back :) When I wear it over a tshirt, it nicely covers up all the exposed bits to give me some extra warmth! yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home