BB knits

A dumping grounds for all things knitting wandering through my lil' mind.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Gift Socks

Back in the summer when I was learning to knit socks, my friend Christy said "I'm a size 9!" as a joke. However, I annoyed her at work a lot over the summer, and she's been a super supportive friend.. so I made a note of her shoe size and fully intended to knit her up some socks once I knew I could do it. After 3 successful pairs, I decided it was time for Christy's Socks!

Pattern: None, really. Just used past experience and "Knitting Rules!" for reference
Yarn: Regia
Other: 2.5mm DPNs, set of 4
Cast on: sock 1: Oct 13/06; sock 2: Oct 23/06
Cast off: sock 1: Oct 20/06; sock 2: Oct 27/06

New techniques learned: None, really. Just further fine tuned my sock abilities, and continued to develope my love for knitting socks and my confidence in being able to just do them, no pattern necessary.

Changes to pattern: Well, there wasn't really a pattern. I did the petticoat top again, and then mostly just used some guidelines from the Yarn Harlot's "Knitting Rules!", keeping in mind things I'd done with past socks.

What I would do differently if I made it again: If I had made them for myself, I might have made them taller in the leg, just because I like taller socks in my boots. Christy doesn't wear boots much (or at all), though, so it probably doesn't matter :P Oh, and it might have been nice if they could have been a finished product surprise... but someone blew my cover while I was half way through one sock! She got really excited and hugged me when she found out... but I think it would've been more fun to have had the surprise with the finished product ;)


finished christy sock
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

The finished sock! I think knitted socks look kind of funny off the foot...




gift wrapped socks
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

All bundled up and ready to go to their new home!




Christy models her new socks
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

Being modeled by the proud recipient! (seriously, she showed those socks off to everyone and anyone that day! She's the kind of person one loves to knit for, because she's so ridiculously happy to have recieved some handmade socks and she brags about them and makes sure eveyrone knows who made them for her :) )

1 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Ginny said…

    Sock Knitting - it's addictive. Isn't it ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home