BB knits

A dumping grounds for all things knitting wandering through my lil' mind.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

My second sock(lets)!

Continueing on the sock theme... my second pair of socks were more season-appropriate :)

Pattern: Alison's Ankle Socks
Yarn: Lang Yarns Jawoll Cotton Jacquard superwash
Other: 3.25mm DPNs, set of 4
Cast on: sock 1: July 29/06; sock 2: July 29/06
Cast off: sock 1: July 29/06; sock 2: Aug 6/06

What's with the excessive amount of time on the 2nd sock? Got 3 rows of ribbing done before calling it a night on the 29th... and then there was a crazy heat wave and I couldn't even think about touching any knitting until the 6th :P

New techniques learned: Not sure that there was anything really that different for these socks versus my first socks..except the lack of much leg... It was more a matter of improving on my sock skills :) The holes around the heel were less big this time ;)

Changes to pattern: Nothing on purpose... was still too new to sock knitting to trust myself to stray from the pattern!

What I would do differently if I made it again: I will admit at this point in my knitting career, I only knew one way to cast on, really. I had tried another and didn't like it, so stuck to my trusty knitted cast on. Problem? I cast on kind of tight. I've been working on that, and generally I'm getting better... but these socks are a bit tricky to get on over my heel :P So if I were to make them again, I'd try to loosen that up a bit. Also, I still am pretty crap at judging how much yarn socks will or will not eat up... I had a good amount left over, and if I were to make them again I'd have a bit more hieght on them. They're perfect in slip ons like crocs, but I would prefer a bit more height when I'm wearing my running shoes.

Generally, these socks are awesome. I wore them a lot in the summer at work (where I'm on my feet a lot), and they've held up well with many washings. And the colours are all kinds of fun :)



socklets
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

view from the top. very comfy, and came in handy on those chillier days in the summer. they matched my hot pink croc-knock-offs nicely at work ;)




socklets
Originally uploaded by dottiemaggie.

another view - showing off the fun heels! (and my not so fun heels..ouch... long story short, I got lost in Toronto and had to walk far to much on a far too hot day. the shoes I was wearing were sensible and comfortable, but they had their limits...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home